Planning Enforcement

The council is required to investigate reports of breaches of planning control. Find out what can be reported and what we can do to help.

Breaches of planning control can include:

  • building an extension or making alterations to a building without planning permission

  • changing the use of a property without permission (e.g. running a business from home)

  • failing to comply with a condition attached to a planning permission

  • carrying out work which differs from the plans approved

  • putting up advertisements without consent

  • removing or lopping protected trees without permission

  • carrying out unauthorised work on listed buildings

  • unauthorised demolition of buildings in a Conservation Area

  • high hedge complaints

We cannot deal with covenant issues, boundary, party wall or ownership disputes. These are private matters which a solicitor or a Citizens Advice Bureau can help with.

It is important to remember that some buildings, extensions or advertisements can be put up, or uses of land and building changed, without the need for planning permission.

If you suspect a breach of planning control, please contact us

You will need to tell us:

  • your name, address and telephone number

  • the address where the breach is taking place

  • what the breach is

  • how it affects you

  • the date it started

  • the contact details of the people involved (if you know them)

Please note: We do not normally investigate anonymous complaints.

For more information, take a look at our enforcement policy below. 

Was this page useful?

A-Z of Services

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z