Do I need planning permission?

Did you know that you can often carry out works or extensions to your property without requiring planning permission from the Council? 

Some extensions and alterations do not need planning permission – this is called “permitted development”.  Whether you are required to apply for planning permission relies on a number of factors such as:

  • The size and position of the extension/alterations

  • The size of your house

  • Whether your house is terraced, semi-detached or detached

  • Whether you live in a Conservation Area

  • Whether there are special planning controls in your area e.g. an Article 4 Direction

  • Whether the house has been extended before

  • Whether you have outbuildings in the garden

Please note that the above list is not exhaustive and each individual circumstance is different.  We recommend that you seek advice from us before carrying out any works.  If you go ahead with a project without permission, you may end up having to put things back to how they were and remove any unauthorised development.

Further information, including an interactive house, on the types of project that might be considered to be permitted development can be found on the Planning Portal.

For formal confirmation that your proposal is permitted development, you will need to apply for a lawful development certificate.  When applying we would also recommend that you discuss your proposal with your neighbours. 

Building Control

Please be aware that where an extension is permitted development, you might still need other permissions including compliance with the Building Regulations.  For more information on the Building Regulations please contact our Building Control Team.

Further Guidance

For further information on whether you will need planning permission, please read the permitted development rights for householders-technical guidance. Please ensure you are reading this in conjunction with the most recent legislation.

Article 4 Directions

We can remove permitted development rights for a property or area by issuing an Article 4 Direction.  This means that works that may have previously been deemed permitted development will require planning permission. 

Was this page useful?

A-Z of Services

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z