Mutual home exchange

If you are one of our tenants, you can move to another house if you can arrange a swap with someone else who would like to exchange.

You can exchange with:

  • another of our tenants

  • a council tenant from another local authority

  • a Housing Association or Registered Social Landlord

Along with 300 landlords, we are signed up to Exchange Locata. This service is free to all of our tenants and allows you to swap homes with people in the local area or anywhere else in the UK. It will give you more choice, the chance to see photographs of homes on the list and will give you regular 'news alerts' of possible swaps. Sign up to Exchange Locata

If you are not a South Kesteven District Council tenant, please check that your Housing Association/Council is registered with Exchange Locata to ensure free registration. If your landlord is not registered with this scheme there is a fee.

Once you have found someone who would like to exchange with you, apply online by clicking on the button below. 

If you are not currently a tenant of South Kesteven District Council, you will need to supply photo identification for each adult on your exchange application, and a birth certificate for each child.

You will also need to provide copies of all household income (e.g. payslips), and evidence of any benefits you are in receipt of.

Please ensure you have this evidence before you apply. If identification is required, you will receive an e-mail confirmation with instructions on how to e-mail your evidence to us when you have submitted your application

If you do not supply the information required, your application cannot be processed, and will be deleted after 28 days.

Please note you will need to set up a customer account with us to apply for this service.

The account needs to be in the name of the person applying for this service, or we will not be able to process the application.

Before making your application take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Mutual Exchange FAQs

All parties must submit applications for our approval. 

You will not be allowed to mutually exchange if:

  • notice of seeking possession has been served

  • the property is not suitable for your needs

  • the property has adaptations that are unwanted

  • the property is not in good decorative order

  • the other landlord is a charitable trust or a charitable housing association and the exchange conflicts with their purposes

  • you still have debts associated with the property

A decision on a Mutual Exchange application request can take approximately 42 days ( 6 weeks). If your application is approved, an exchange date has to be agreed by all parties.

Was this page useful?

A-Z of Services

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z