Premises licence

You need a licence to provide late-night refreshments, regulated entertainment, and to sell or supply alcohol.

Before you submit your application you are strongly advised to discuss your proposals with our Licensing team and the responsible authorities. This could prevent representations against the application, and the need for a hearing to be held to determine it.

Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol

  • serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am

You'll also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:

  • performance of a play

  • exhibition of a film

  • an indoor sporting event

  • boxing or wrestling entertainment

  • performance of live music

  • playing or recorded music

  • performance of dance

  • entertainment of a similar description to a performance of live music, any playing of recorded music or a performance of dance

You still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.

You do not need a licence for some types of entertainment, including:

  • educational or promotional films

  • films shown as part of an exhibition in a museum or gallery

  • incidental music (live or recorded)

Once your licence is granted:

You will be required to keep an up to date list of all staff that have been authorised by the Designated Premise Supervisor to sell alcohol. 

Written Authorisation form for the sale of alcohol

Public nuisance control:

Our guidance document below will help licensees and those applying for licenses on the management of noise and other public nuisance issues from their premises. All licensees should use it to help prevent noise problems from their premises.

It is also intended to provide guidance on best practice for preventing nuisance in general from similar premises other than licensed ones.

Guide to control noise from licensed premises

Was this page useful?

A-Z of Services

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z