Student discount

Households where everyone is a full-time student don't have to pay council tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for a 100% discount.

To count as a full-time college or university student, and therefore apply for a discount on council tax, you need to be one of the following:

in further or higher education:

  • undertaking a full time course of education and enrolled at either an institution for further or higher education college, a university or a theological college
  • the course is for at least one academic year (24 weeks) and
  • study, tuition or work experience for an average of at least 21 hours per week

a student nurse:

  • attending a course that leads to an appropriate registration under section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979

a foreign language assistant:

  • appointed by a school or education establishment and registered as a foreign language assistant with the British Council

You'll get a council tax bill if there's someone in your household who's not a full-time student, but your household might still qualify for a discount.

Was this page useful?

A-Z of Services

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z