About your council tax

Council tax is the main source of locally raised income for us. The money we collect is used to part-fund the many services provided for the local community.

Most self-contained dwellings are subject to council tax. There is one bill per dwelling, whether this is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat. The charge applies whether the home is owned or rented.

The tax raised is based on the value of your property. There are a number of exemptions, discounts and disregards available if certain circumstances apply. Please take a look at our guidance documents below.

Was this page useful?

A-Z of Services

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z