About your council tax

Council tax is the main source of locally raised income for the district council. The money we collect is used by us to part-fund the many services provided for the local community.

Most self-contained dwellings are subject to council tax. There is one bill per dwelling, whether this is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat. The charge applies whether the home is owned or rented.

The tax raised is based on the value of your property. There are a number of exemptions, discounts and disregards available if certain circumstances apply. Please take a look at our guidance documents below.

pdf icon Council tax guide 2016/17 [804kb]

pdf icon Special Expense Area Band D Charge 2016/17 [171kb]