Annual Household Canvass 2019

The annual canvass update of the Electoral Register for South Kesteven will begin during July 2019

Look out for your form arriving in the post

What we're doing

During July, all households in South Kesteven will be sent a Household Enquiry Form to ensure their household is correctly listed on the Electoral Register.  The letter will be addressed to "the occupier" and will list details of all people in the household who are currently registered to vote.  This form is not a registration form but you do need to respond to it to confirm who lives at your address.

What you need to do

The form asks you to confirm if details of those living at the address and registered to vote are correct.  The information you provide will enable us to send a separate individual registration form to any new resident who is eligible to register to vote.  Anyone living at the address can respond to the form.  Please don't ignore the form.

How to reply

When you receive your form, tell us straight away if the details are correct or if they need changing.  You have a number of options to respond -choose ONE of the options:

1.     Online at You will need the security numbers which are printed on the form to complete the online form.  You can make changes to the details for your household using this service.

2.     Complete the paper form we sent you and return it using the pre-paid envelope.

If nothing has changed and the details printed on your form are correct, you can also:

3.     Phone 0800 197 9871 to confirm that there are no changes.  You will need the security numbers printed on the form to confirm by phone.

4.     Text NOCHANGE followed by both parts of the security numbers printed on the letter to 80212 to confirm that there are no changes. (If nobody is eligible to vote at the address include a reason after your security number e.g. empty, business, second home, other).

You do not need to return the paper form if you have used options 1, 3 or 4.

What happens next?

If you tell us there are new people eligible to be registered, they will each need to register individually.  They can go online to register at If they do not apply online we will send an "invitation to register" to each person you have added.  Each person is required to provide their National Insurance number and date of birth when they apply to be registered.

If you tell us someone has moved away, we may need to send a further letter to each individual so that we have confirmation that they have moved away.  This is because we are required to have two pieces of evidence to remove someone from the electoral register.

If you tell us that someone has changed their name, we will send them a further letter to request a copy of their marriage or deed poll certificate to enable their name to be changed on the register.


We will send a reminder where we don't get a reply from a household, and if necessary a further reminder.  Please respond by 19th August so that you do not receive a reminder.

Personal visit

If we don't get a reply from either the first form or the first reminder, we will visit your property to try to obtain the necessary information and a completed form.

Legal requirement to reply

It is a legal requirement for the information requested in the household form to be provided, even if there are no changes to the details. 

Do I need to re-register each year?

Once you're registered you don't need to register again unless you change your address or name.  However you will receive a Household Enquiry Form every year, even if you are already registered.  This means we can ensure the register is kept up to date.  Each household must reply to the Household Enquiry Form each year.

Will my details be shared with other organisations?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers - the Electoral Register and the open register (also known as the edited register). 

Find out more about opting in/out of the open register 

View the Electoral Services Privacy Notice

If you have not received your Household Enquiry Form by the end of July 2019, or if you have a query regarding registering to vote, please contact the elections team during normal office hours on 01476 40 60 80 or email