Adaptations to your home

The council has a commitment to helping its elderly and disabled tenants enjoy as independent lifestyle as possible.

How we can help you

We can offer you a range of adaptations including:

  • widening doors
  • installing ramps or lowering doorway steps to make it easier for you to get into and out of your home
  • installing grab rails or hand rails
  • installing a stair lift
  • installing a walk-in shower or a shower fitted over your bath
  • moving light switches and electric sockets to a more convenient position

How to apply for an adaptation

You should contact Lincolnshire County Council's Social Services on:

  • 01522 78 21 55 (for adults with a disability) or
  • 01522 78 21 11 (for people under 18 with a disability)

Please ask for the customer service unit and ask for an assessment for adaptations to your home. The customer service unit will ask you for some details (for example, your name and address and what type of disability you or any members of your household have). They will arrange for an occupational therapist to visit you at home.

The occupational therapist may be able to help you with minor aids or equipment that won't cost you anything. If you need more complicated adaptations the occupational therapist will send us a referral form. We will then write to tell you what will happen next.

If you need very minor adaptations, such as grab rails, lever taps (taps you can move easily by pushing against them rather than having to turn them) or hand rails you can call us on 01476 40 60 80 and speak to a member of the Improvements team.

If Lincolnshire County Council's Social Services does not agree to your request for more complicated adaptations for medical or practical reasons, we won't be able to do the work.

If your property is of a design or type that makes it difficult to adapt, we may discuss alternatives with you such as moving to a more suitable property (for example, a bungalow).

Frequently asked questions