You can apply for variation to the certificate if you wish to:

  • vary the hours during which an activity is permitted
  • add or remove activities
  • amend, add or remove conditions within a certificate
  • alter any aspect of the layout of the premises which is shown on the plan

Club premises certificates cannot be transferred or be used to apply to more than one venue.

pdf icon Guidance for applicants [464kb]

Full variations

The full variation process is very similar to the application process for a new premises licence and the fee is the same. You should use this process if you want to make a substantial change to your licence, for example, increasing the hours when you sell alcohol.

pdf icon Application to vary a club premises certificate [324kb]

Minor variations

If you want to make a small, low-risk change to your premises licence, you may be able to use the minor variation process. This is cheaper and quicker than the full variation application.

Small changes could include:

  • removing a licensable activity
  • reducing the hours you sell alcohol 
  • making small changes to the layout of your premises 

If you apply for a minor variation and your application is rejected, you will not be able to appeal. However,  you can reapply using the full variation process.

pdf icon Application for a minor variation to a club premises certificate [212kb]