The Temporary Event Notice (TEN) must be given in writing (including by electronic means) at least ten working days before the event. The ten working days do not include the date of the receipt of application or the date of the event.  A fee is payable with the notice.

We will acknowledge receipt of the notice by signing and returning a copy of the notice to the premises user. This will be before the end of the first working day it was received, or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to the chief officer of the local police department and the Environmental Protection team at the council. This must be no later than ten working days before the event period.

The Chief Police Officer and Environmental Protection team who believe that the event would undermine any of the four licensing objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within three working days of receipt of the TEN.

There are four licensing objectives and these are:

  • Prevention of Crime and Disorder
  • Public Safety
  • Prevention of Public Nuisance
  • Protection of Children from Harm

Objections and appeals

A hearing must be held if an objection notice is served. A counter notice may be issued if it is considered necessary for a crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice, the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to Lincoln Magistrates' Court, 358 High Street, Lincoln LNA 7QA within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event. 

A police chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.