Temporary Event Notices

If you wish to hold an occasional or ad-hoc event for up to 499 people, where licensable activities are to take place, you must submit a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).


BEFORE SUBMITTING a Temporary Event Notice you are strongly advised to contact the Environmental health team to discuss the measures you have put in place to limit the transmission of Coronavirus.  This includes producing a risk assessment.  In determining what are 'reasonable measures' for the event any relevant government guidance must be taken into account.   Failure to provide a suitable risk assessment may result in an objection from Environmental Health in its capacity as a Responsible Authority on basis that the event may be a "threat to public safety" .

Guidance on events is available at https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/downloads/download/36/lincolnshire-event-safety-partnership

Further guidance on keeping workers and audiences safe during covid-19 in the outdoor events industry is available at eventsindustryforum.co.uk/index.php

Government Industry Sector Guidance is available at gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19

There are two types of TENs, Standard or Late, and different criteria apply to each. Please pay careful attention to the guidance and deadlines, if there are any errors it will be deemed invalid.  

Standard Temporary Event Notices must be received at least 10 clear working days before the event

Late Temporary Event Notices must be received between 5 and 9 clear working days before the event

Please note when calculating the working days notice period this does not include weekends, Bank Holidays, the day the TEN is received by the Local Authority or the day of the event.  

A working day at this authority is 08:45 - 17:15, Monday to Thursday and 08:45 - 16:45 on a Friday.

The charge for a Temporary Event Notice is £21.The fee is non refundable, even if the TEN is rejected, withdrawn or if the event does not go ahead.

How to apply

Please see our guidance for applicants below.

To make an application, please click on the button below.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice


Your event must:

  • have fewer than 500 people at all times - including staff running the event 
  • last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events

You must be at least 18 to apply for a TEN.

Number of notices

You can have up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can have up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 TENs in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.

Licensable activity includes:

  • ​selling alcohol 
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club 
  • providing entertainment (e.g. music, dancing or indoor sporting events) 
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, e.g. holding a wedding reception where alcohol may be sold at a community centre and the existing licence does not include the sale of alcohol.

If the premises where the event is to be held are in areas governed by two or more local authorities, applications must be made to both.

Unless you submit an electronic application, you must also give a copy of the notice to the police and environmental health services no later than ten working days before the event - unless you submit a "Late Temporary Event Notice".

Late Temporary Event Notice

If you don't hold a personal licence, you can submit up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.

If an objection is received from the Police or Environmental Health based on the four licensing objectives, unlike a standard Temporary Event Notice when a hearing would take place, a late Temporary Event notice would be rejected and the event can not go ahead.  There is no right of appeal in this case. 


The council can't refuse a notice unless the Police or Environmental Health objects to it. Any objections must be received within 3 working days from the submission of the Notice. 

Objections can only be made if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there's an objection, the Council's Licensing Committee will hold a meeting (called a 'hearing') no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed). At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the Notice.