Parts of Grantham and Stamford are smoke control areas.  If you live in one of these areas, it is an offence to allow smoke from the chimney of a building. Take a look at our smoke control area maps by clicking on the button below. Further information on smoke control areas can also be found on the Defra Website >>

Smoke control area maps

It is also an offence to acquire "unauthorised fuel" for use within a smoke control area unless it is for use in an "exempt appliance." See further information about authorised fuels on the Defra website >> 

How we can help

We investigate complaints about both residential and commercial premises. We need the address where the smoke is coming from, the person responsible (if known), how it is affecting you and how often it occurs.

Smoke from domestic properties

Garden bonfires can cause a nuisance to neighbours, so they are discouraged. Smoke control legislation does not apply to garden bonfires.

Odours from domestic and commercial premises

Odours from both commercial and domestic premises can be a nuisance to neighbours. Odour nuisances includes agricultural land where "muck spreading" is occurring on a regular basis.

Smoke from Commercial premises

If the smoke originates from a commercial premise and is dark smoke action can be taken under The Clean Air Act 1993.

How will my complaint be dealt with?

In cases of smoke or an odour which may cause a nuisance or in the case of dark smoke from a commercial premises, we will write to the occupants or persons responsible and offer advice. People are sometimes unaware of the problem they are causing.

We may ask you to keep a diary about an ongoing issue.

We will investigate the complaint in order to obtain evidence to take action.

What actions can we take?

If we are satisfied that smoke or an odour from either a domestic or residential premises is a nuisance in law (a "statutory nuisance"), we can serve a notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 requiring the smoke or odours to be restricted or stopped so that a nuisance does not occur.

If the smoke originates from a commercial premise and is dark smoke it can be an offence and action may be taken to prevent it which can include prosecution as on offence.

For further information, please submit an enquiry >>