I rent a private property (Experiencing a relationship breakdown?)

When you first split up, your options are likely to be:

  • one person staying in the home while the other moves out
  • both leaving and moving to new places
  • continuing to live together, but as separate households (i.e. not as a couple)

If you are the tenant of the property (either sole or joint tenant) you will continue to have housing rights to the property you live in.

If the tenant has left and you are the remaining occupant, you could speak with the landlord to see if you could have the tenancy put in your sole name instead. If this is not possible, then you will need to find an alternative home to move to.