I am a council tenant (Experiencing a relationship breakdown?)

When you first split up, your options are likely to be:

  • one person staying in the home while the other moves out
  • both leaving and moving to new places
  • continuing to live together, but as separate households (i.e. not as a couple)

Matrimonial Home Rights

Your legal rights on whether you will be able to continue to live in the property will depend on whether you have any housing or 'matrimonial home rights' to a property.

Assigning a tenancy

If you are the tenant of a South Kesteven District Council property (sole or joint tenant) and you want to 'assign' the tenancy (change the tenancy in anyway) to someone, then you will need to complete an assignment application form. Request a form by contacting our Housing Management team.

If the tenant has left and you are the remaining occupant of one of our properties, you will only be able to have the tenancy assigned to you if the tenant agrees and we, as the landlord, agree. If the tenant does not agree, it may still be possible to have the tenancy 'assigned' but the matter will need to go to court.

Further information and advice on housing rights for couples who are splitting up from Shelter >>