Ending your council tenancy

What to do if you want to move out.

If you want to end your tenancy, you must give us at least four weeks notice in writing and tell us the address of your new home.

We will arrange to meet you at the property to carry out an inspection.

We will discuss:

  • any work to be done before you leave
  • what can or cannot be left in the property
  • whether we need you to restore any alterations

Before you leave:

  • remove all your belongings and rubbish
  • leave the house and garden clean and tidy
  • ensure that any damage is repaired
  • leave any fixtures and fittings which belong to us
  • pay all due rent and charges
  • hand your keys in at any of our Customer Service Centres by 12 noon on the Monday following the tenancy termination. Any keys which are not returned will incur a charge
  • when you remove any gas appliances, you must arrange to have any gas pipes capped off by a Corgi-registered plumber or engineer. Tell us your supplier for gas and electricity so that we can confirm final meter readings with them

Showing new tenants around

We would appreciate your help in allowing us to show potential new tenants around your home before you leave. Viewings will be arranged at a time to suit you, and supervised by one of our lettings staff.

What to do if a tenant dies

Coping with the death of a friend or relative is never easy and trying to deal with their affairs can be complicated and upsetting.  

If you are the next of kin, or acting on behalf of a tenant, please contact us about the tenant's death as soon as possible.