Planning enforcement

The council is required to investigate reports of breaches of planning control. Find out what can be reported and what we can do to help.

Coronavirus - Service Delay

Due to current Government guidelines in relation to the Covid-19 crisis, we may not be able to carry out site visits for enforcement investigations as quickly as we would normally like to.

We shall continue to respond to emergency and High Priority cases as quickly as we can and will pick up all other matters as time and resources allow. You should also note that Officers may wish to avoid personal contact wherever possible when making site visits in order to minimise the risks from the virus.

If you do wish to make an enquiry to the Enforcement Team, please do so using the Contact Us link below. If your enquiry is something that we can look into, the case will be set up in our system and you will receive an acknowledgement letter giving you a reference number to quote in future correspondence. Please bear with us during this difficult time, but please rest assured that the matter will have been recorded in our database and will be looked at as soon as we can.

What can be reported?

Breaches of planning control can include:

  • building an extension or making alterations to a building without planning permission
  • changing the use of a property without permission (e.g. running a business from home)
  • failing to comply with a condition attached to a planning permission
  • carrying out work which differs from the plans approved
  • putting up advertisements without consent
  • removing or lopping protected trees without permission
  • carrying out unauthorised work on listed buildings
  • unauthorised demolition of buildings in a Conservation Area
  • high hedge complaints

We cannot deal with covenant issues, boundary, party wall or ownership disputes. These are private matters which a solicitor or a Citizens Advice Bureau can help with.

It is important to remember that some buildings, extensions or advertisements can be put up, or uses of land and building changed, without the need for planning permission.

If you suspect a breach of planning control, please contact us >>

You will need to tell us:

  • your name, address and telephone number
  • the address where the breach is taking place
  • what the breach is
  • how it affects you
  • the date it started
  • the contact details of the people involved (if you know them)

Please note: We do not normally investigate anonymous complaints.

For more information, take a look at our enforcement policy below.