Report benefit fraud

Fraud is committed when someone claiming housing or council tax support does not tell us the truth about their circumstances.

We have a specialist team to prevent and detect benefit fraud. We work closely with the Department for Work and Pensions and other agencies.

If we suspect that someone has committed an offence, we may interview them under caution. We may prosecute, and we can also issue financial penalties and formal cautions where appropriate.

Benefit fraud occurs when we are not told:

  • the correct income of the household
  • the correct amount of savings and capital in the household
  • if a partner, or other adults (over 18 years old) live in the same property
  • if they own another property or land
  • if they have moved and continue to accept housing benefit payments
  • the person pretends to rent a property which they actually own
  • the person pretends to be paying more rent than they actually are
  • the landlord fails to tell us their tenant has moved and still accepts housing benefit payments for them

Help us catch the benefits cheats!

Report benefit fraud online

Fraud hotline 01476 40 62 61

We would like to know:

  • name(s) of people in household
  • address
  • age(s)
  • description of person(s)
  • description of vehicle, including registration number
  • employer's name and address
  • time the person leaves for work and arrives home
  • how long the person(s) has worked for the company

Calls to the benefits department may be recorded for training and service improvement purposes, and to help prevent and detect fraud. For further information, download our call recording protocol >>