Tell us about a change

You must tell us straight away of any changes in your income or personal circumstances that might change the amount of benefit you get.

It is an offence not to tell us about a change in circumstances relating to your claim. 

Contact us

You may be asked to provide evidence of the change. If you do not tell us about a change straight away you will have to pay back any overpayment of benefit.

You must tell if there has been an increase or decrease in the money you or your partner gets, such as:

  • benefits
  • pensions
  • tax credits
  • wages
  • capital
  • any other income

Or changes to your house/household, such as:

  • rent increases or decreases
  • change of address
  • absence from the property (e.g. holiday, hospital, caring for a sick friend or relative)
  • a change in the number of people in your house (e.g. you have a baby or someone dies)
  • a partner comes to live with you, or
  • a partner leaves

If you are unsure whether a change affects your benefit, tell us anyway.