Street naming and numbering

We are responsible for street naming on new developments, village street naming and allocation of postal numbers/house names to new and existing properties.

Below are the guidance notes on Street Naming and Numbering which should be read before making an application.

pdf icon Guidance notes - Street Naming & Numbering [210kb]

Please note that from 1 April 2020 there is a charge for some applications (see Schedule of Charges 2023/24).

To make an application:

You can make an application for any of the following by clicking on link below:

Apply for Street Name and Numbering

New streets and developments

​​Developers must contact the Parish or Town Council, (For the un- parished areas of the district, developers should contact the District Ward Member) at the earliest possible stage of development. Parish or Town Council are ideally placed to advise on matters of local significance and historical links. Their advice should be sought prior to submitting an application. Some Parish or Town Council and Ward members of un-parished areas may already have a list of names that are considered appropriate. All details of the Parish/Town councils and Ward Members are shown on the website:

A developer should then contact South Kesteven District Council with proposals for naming and reasons behind the suggestions. Please send proof of agreement of new road names with application. Consultations will then be carried out with Parish / Town councils and with Royal Mail before name(s) are formally approved.

New property naming and numbering

​​Individual buildings erected on an existing street, will be allocated with a postal number where possible, that includes infill properties and property conversions, this may involve using 'A' / 'B' etc with the number or flat numbers.

Where no official postal numbering exists, a house name must be used for the postal address. Property owners can name their property but the name should not conflict with any existing name in the postal area.

Changes or additions to existing property, business or building names

It is not possible to replace the postal number with a house name but a name can be used in conjunction with the official postal number. An existing house name can be changed or removed from an address and you should apply to us to have this done.  

Village naming and numbering schemes

These are only undertaken at the request of a parish council following open consultations with the residents concerned.  Please contact your local Parish Clerk.


The Royal Mail is responsible for the postcode part of any postal address. The council can liaise with Royal Mail to have addresses added or amended on the Postal Address File database. The Council is not responsible for allocating postcodes; they are a Royal Mail product.  The Council works closely with Royal Mail to ensure that proposed addresses are acceptable.  Postcodes will only be allocated when a scheme is approved. 

A property's post town may differ from its nearest town, or the town in its own district or county, as Royal Mail base its addresses on the post town through which the post is delivered instead of the actual geographical location of the property.

When new properties are issued a postcode Royal Mail stores the addresses in a 'NYB' (not yet built) file.  This may need to be activated by Royal Mail so it appears on their web site.  This can be done by contacting them directly.

Any complaints relating to the delivery of Royal Mail deliveries should be directed to Royal Mail by the person experiencing the problem.  The Council is not responsible for the non-delivery of mail or goods.

Street name plates

We provide and maintain street name plates for roads officially named and adopted by Lincolnshire County Council. Find out more >>

It is the responsibility of the developer to erect any street nameplates which are required.  New street nameplates must adhere to the specification provided by the Council