Skip to content

Problems paying your rent

If you have fallen into rent arrears or you know you will not be able to afford your rent then you may be eligible for some help with 'housing benefit' or a 'discretionary housing payment' to help pay your rent. You would need to speak with the housing benefit department about this.

Housing benefit when renting from a private landlord is paid directly to a tenant. It is possible in some cases for housing benefit to be paid directly to the landlord, which can prevent you falling into further rent arrears. In order to arrange for direct payments to be paid to a landlord, you need to meet the 'safeguarding criteria'. You may meet this if for example, you are in 8 weeks or more rent arrears or there are issues of vulnerability, for example if you are mentally unwell or you are not able to manage your money because you have an alcohol or drug addiction. These applications to apply for the housing benefit to be paid directly to your landlord needs to be supported with letters from professionals you are working with.

If you are a Council or housing association tenant and you have fallen into rent arrears and you are in receipt of benefits, you may be able to get a 'direct deduction' made from benefits if this helps you manage your money in paying the rent.

Family3 Displays a larger version of this image in a new browser window

Try setting up a repayment plan with your landlord, whether that is the Council, a housing association or a private landlord. If your landlord allows you do this, then you may be able to stay in your home and not be evicted.