Essential Home Repair Assistance
Information on the EHRA survey and the assistance that can be subsequently available for private home owner occupiers
If you feel the repairs that are needed to your property are heating related, you have some form of health issue that is detrimentally affected by the cold and you live in Lincolnshire please contact the Responders to Warmth scheme. For eligible applicants they can offer the following:
- Warmth related Handy Person service
- In the home energy advice
- Loft and cavity wall insulation
- Emergency heaters*
- Repair, adaptation or replacement heating and or hot water systems**
- Salt and sand provision*
Please note, exclusions may apply to all of the above.
** Only available to those having in the home energy advice.
*** Tenure exclusions apply.
If you do not qualify for R2W please visit Green Deal and the ECO (Energy Company Obligation).
Essential Home Repair Assistance survey
From 15th August 2013, the Essential Home Repair Assistance (EHRA) is available to eligible private sector home owners following a free property survey. This can lead to essential repairs being carried out using our approved contractors up to an assistance maximum of £5000.
Essential Home Repair Assistance is not available for work relating to thermal efficiency, such as insulation, heating and thermal comfort. For these issues financial support is available through the Governments Green Deal and the ECO.
Serious hazards will be identified through the EHRA survey, which uses guidance from the Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) under the Housing Act 2004.
The survey looks at:
- Whether your home your home meet the statutory minimum standard related to health and safety
- What the state of repair of certain building components are
Depending on the results of the survey we will advise you if you are eligible to receive EHRA and regarding any other assistance including referral to another agency. Of course we cannot guarantee results.
Private tenants who have issues with the property they rent should contact their landlord or managing agent in the first instance for assistance. Should issues persist please contact Environmental Health on 01476 406080 for advice and assistance.
The assistance offered is discretionary and subject to funding.
Am I eligible for a free EHRA survey?
There are a number of eligibility criteria, which include:
- You must be an owner occupier;
- You must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit;
- Income support
- Working tax credit (income less than £16190)
- Child tax credit (income less than £16190)
- Housing benefit
- Income based job seekers allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Attendance allowance
- Disability living allowance
- War disablement pension
- Industrial injuries disablement benefit
- Pension Credit
- Incapacity benefit
- The property to be surveyed was built before 2000;
- The property should not have had a Better Homes grant or EHRA in the previous 3 years;
- The owner must have owned and occupied the property for at least 3 years;
- The owner must agree to a local land charge. This will be registered to the property for a period of 5 years from completion of the grant funded work.
If you would like to apply for a survey and you meet the criteria above please contact Private Sector Housing on 01476 406080.
Examples of work previously carried out under assistance:
- Electrical Periodic installation tests, leading to necessary electrical remedial works
- Roofing - replacement flat roofs, roofing repairs
- Structural repair