Core Strategy Development Plan Document
Our Core Strategy is one of the most important parts of the Local Development Framework. It sets out the key principles that will help decide where development should take place and what it should look like.
It provides the framework that will steer development and change in South Kesteven until 2026.
National Planning Policy Framework
The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) was published on 27 March 2012. The government considers the NPPF to be a key part of its reforms to make the planning system less complex and more accessible, to protect the environment and to promote sustainable growth.
The NPPF replaces all of the Planning Policy Statements and Planning Policy Guidance notes that previously formed national planning policy. However, guidance documents that accompanied these policy documents remain in place until such time as they are reviewed or updated. For a full list of all the documents that have been replaced, see Annex 3 of the NPPF.
Status of Core Strategy Policies
Paragraph 214 of the NPPF provides a 12 month transitional period for plans adopted since 2004, under the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004, during which time full weight can be attributed to the policies. The Core Strategy was adopted on the 5th July 2010 and, therefore, benefits from this 12 month transitional period.
The Core Strategy
The Core Strategy was adopted on the 5th July 2010 at an extraordinary meeting of the Full Council.
The Core Strategy now forms part of the Development Plan for South Kesteven and will be the starting point for considering planning applications.
The Core Strategy and supporting documents are available to view and download
- Core Strategy [Adopted July 2010] [3Mb]
- Core Strategy Statement of Adoption [300kb]
- SA-SEA for Core Strategy [2Mb]
- SA Adoption Statement [47kb]
- Habitat Regulations Assessment for Core Strategy [1Mb]
- South Kesteven Core Strategy Inspector's Report - Final [372kb]
- Schedule 1 - Changes to Inspector's Report [321kb]
All of the above documents can also be inspected, free of charge, at our offices and local libraries in the District (refer to Adoption Statement for locations and opening hours).
South Kesteven Local Plan
With the adoption of the Core Strategy, many of the policies in the South Kesteven Local Plan have been superseded. However, there are a few policies which will remain in use until the Site Allocations and Policies Development Plan Document and Grantham Area Action Plan have been finalised.
You can find out which Local Plan policies have been superseded by the Core Strategy and those that will remain in use by clicking the link below.
A new version of the Proposals Map incorporating the Core Strategy proposals is in the process of being finalised.
The Core Strategy was submitted for examination on the 21st August 2009. Mrs Karen McCabe, BA (Hons), MTP, DMS, MRTPI was appointed to hold the examination. The purpose of the examination was to test the soundness of the Core Strategy.
The Inspector's report on the examination was received on the 8th June 2010. The Inspector found the Core Strategy to be sound subject to the changes set out in her report (see above for documents).
The Inspector held a pre-hearing meeting on the 22nd October 2009. The examination hearing sessions where held over seven days between the 19th January and 17th March 2010.
- Notes of Pre-Hearings Meeting [88kb]
- Examination Hearings Programme [85kb]
- Supporting documents and documents submitted during examination - please click here to follow the link to those documents.
The Core Strategy, the accompanying Sustainability Appraisal and supporting documents, were published on the 16th January 2009 for a period of six weeks to enable representations to be made.
- Core Strategy DPD [17Mb]
- Submission Proposals Map [22Mb]
- Sustainability Appraisal Report & Habitat Regulations Assessment [2Mb]
- Adopted Statement of Community Involvement [908kb]
- Statement of Consultation (Regulation 30(1)(d)) [1Mb]
- Statement of Representations Made & Main Issues Raised (Regulation 30(1)(e)) [1Mb]
- Schedule of Proposed Changes [1Mb]
- Statement of Arrangements for Inspection of Documents [37kb]
- Public Notice [15kb]
Earlier Consultation Stages
At the initial stage of producing the Core Strategy, we consulted on the "Issues and Options" paper in 2005. This gave local communities, and others, the opportunity to shape and influence the Core Strategy in its first stage of preparation.
After the Issues and Options, we produced the Preferred Options document (2006) on which we undertook a 6 week consultation. After the Preferred Options, it was necessary to consult upon a second round of Preferred Options in order to reflect a change in circumstances. This took place in 2007.
Below are the documents relating to the Issues and Options and Preferred Options stages
- Core Strategy Preferred Options May 2007 [16Mb]
- Sustainability Appraisal Report April 2007 [3Mb]
- Core Strategy Preferred Options DPD June 2006 [7Mb]
- Sustainability Appraisal Report May 2006 [808kb]
- Sustainability Appraisal Report Non Technical Summary May 2006 [146kb]
- Issues and Options for Development in South Kesteven September 2005 [8Mb]
- SEA-SA Scoping Report August 2005 [1Mb]
- SA Baseline Data - Technical Document [1Mb]