We expect you as a tenant to:
- Pay your rent on time.
- Let us know about repairs that are needed.
- Repair any minor jobs yourself - unless you are unable to do so.
- Repair any damage that you have caused to your home - if we carry out these repairs we will charge you for them.
- Get our permission before carrying out alterations to your home.
- Keep your home clean and well decorated.
- Keep your garden tidy and free from rubbish.
- Allow us, or someone working on our behalf, to come into your home so we can carry out an inspection or work - our officers or those working on our behalf will always carry identification and you will be told in advance.
- Tell us if you are going to be away from your home for more than 4 weeks e.g. if you are in hospital, on holiday or staying with friends.
- Make sure that you, your family and visitors behave in a way that does not cause a nuisance, annoy, disturb or harass your neighbours and the local area.
- Not run a business from your home without our permission.
- Ensure your pet is suitable and does not cause a nuisance to your neighbourhood - many pets are unsuitable for those living in flats - ask your neighbourhood officers for advice.
You must not:
- Park on any area not intended for parking e.g. grass verges, pathways etc. We have a number of garages available for rent.
- Park any motor-home, caravan, boat or business vehicle that weighs more than two tonnes at the property.
- Park any vehicle that is not legal or roadworthy on any land that belongs to us.
- Receive payment for repairing any vehicle at the property.
You must write to us and ask permission to do any of the following:
- Let people stay with you for more than four weeks who are not included in your housing application form - you can do this by completing a change of tenancy details form.
- Carry out alterations to the property.
- Put a garage, greenhouse or shed in the garden.
- Fit a CB aerial or satellite dish.
- Build a parking space or drive.
- Remove, alter, or replace any walls, hedges, fences or trees.
- Sublet any part of the property.
- Exchange or transfer your home.
- Build a pigeon loft.
If you do not keep to any of the conditions, we make take action against you where you may have to pay costs and could lead to you losing your home.
Back to [A to Z of services]