Ventilation of Dwellings
Ventilation to the Building Regulations mean additional requirements for some buildings from 2006 onwards.
- Rapid Ventilation: one or more ventilation opening, with some part of the ventilation opening at high level (>1.75m above floor level) typically an opening window.
- Background Ventilation: typically a trickle ventilator or an air brick with a hit and miss ventilator, should be reasonably secure, adjustable and located to avoid discomfort due to draughts and to prevent rain ingress.
- Extract Ventilation: can be by one of the following methods:-
- Mechanical extract ventilation operated manually and/or automatically by a sensor or controller.
- Passive stack ventilation (PSV) operated manually and/or automatically by a sensor or controller.
- An appropriate open-flued heating appliance (see Approved Document F)
Ventilation requirements for rooms containing opening windows on an external wall.
See attached PDF for further information.
Back to [A to Z of services]