What do Parish and Town Councils do?
Parish and Town Councils have been in existence since 1894 and have a wide range of powers.
Parish and Town Councils
Most of the powers held by Parish and Town Councils are discretionary, so it may do something, rather than it must do something. Parish and Town Councils have the right to ask for money from the District Council. This is known as the parish precept and is collected as part of the council tax for that area.
Parish and Town Councils listen to local opinion and act as a voice of local residents. The range of services and amenities they provide varies a great deal. they often help local voluntary organisations and have an important role in providing and improving local life.
By law, Parish and Town Councils must:-
· Hold an annual meeting;
· Hold at least three other meetings a year;
· Appoint a financial officer and can appoint other staff if necessary;
· Make rules (Standing Orders) for meetings and procedures, as well as for the supply of goods and services to the council.
There are 62 parish and 3 town councils (Bourne, Stamford and Market Deeping) in South Kesteven.
Parish meetings are not a council body. Its powers are therefore very limited. Parish Meetings:-
· can be a consultee for district council matters such as planning applications.
· may vote on any legal aspect that affects the parish.
· Where an area has no Parish Council, the Parish Meeting is the Burial authority, and can ask for funding for the maintenance of any churchyards in the area.
There are 12 Parish Meetings in South Kesteven. For a full list plus contact details, please go to Parish Clerks.
Grantham Charter Trustees
The Charter Trustees are the District Councillors for Grantham. They elect the Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Grantham from within the group.
The Charter Trustees do not organise services; they continue civic tradition and promote civic pride. The Grantham Charter Trustees are funded by a precept for Grantham.
For contact details for the Grantham Charter Trustees, please go to Parish Clerks.
Back to [A to Z of services]