Committees and Membership
Find out how decisions are made, and who they are made by.
Click on each of the links below to view membership of the Committee, contact details of the Councillors and their attendance records.
The councillors meet as a Full Council around every two months. A limited number of items of business, such as approving the level of council tax, must be considered by the full Council. However, because it would be impractical for all 58 councillors to be consulted on every item of business, the Council delegates authority for making its main decisions in several ways:-
The Cabinet meets once a month in public and makes important decisions within the Council's overall policy framework. The Cabinet is made up of the Leader of the Council and 5 other executive members, each of whom have responsibility for a Portfolio, and each of whom have individual decision-making powers.
Regulatory functions (Quasi - judicial Committees)
- Alcohol and Entertainment Committee. This Committee deals with applications for alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment licences.
- Licensing Committee. This Committee deals with applications for taxi, gaming, entertainment, food and miscellaneous licences.
Find out more about various licences by visiting the Business and Licensing pages.
- Development Control Committee. This Committee deals with planning applications, as well as other functions relating to town and country planning and development control.
If you would like to check a planning application or view plans, please visit the Development Control pages.
The following Policy Development Groups (PDGs) perform pre-decision scrutiny :-
- Scrutiny Committee. This Committee reviews and scrutinizes decisions made or actions taken in connection with the discharge of any of the Council's functions as well as other functions detailed on our separate Scrutiny Committee page.
- Constitution Committee. This Committee deals with amendments to the Council's Constitution. The Constitution is a written document which acts as part of our corporate governance framework which defines the systems and processes by which the we lead, direct and controls our functions and relate to our communities and partners.
- Governance and Audit Committee. This Committee oversees the assurance arrangements in place, in respect of our system of governance, internal control and risk management. The Committee is also responsible for reviewing the external auditor's report, the annual audit letter internal audit's annual report for approval of the annual accounts.
Contact the team
Contact details for the Committee Support team can be found on the left hand side of this screen.