Skip to content

Neighbour nuisance

A nuisance neighbour or problem family can cause tensions in the community and makes the lives of those living nearby a misery. In some communities there are particular premises that are a constant focus for severe anti-social behaviour.

We will deal with anti-social behaviour and neighbour nuisance complaints involving council, or private renting tenants, or owner occupiers. Most tenants will have some sort of a tenancy agreement with their landlord and this usually makes the tenant responsible for their behaviour - including that of their friends, relatives, and any other person including children, who are living in or visiting the property.

We, the Community Safety Team, in partnership with Tenancy Services, Registered Social Landlords and the Police can, and will, use any of the tools and powers available to us to prevent further nuisance. This could be something simple such as drawing up an with the persons responsible for the nuisance.

Where an ABC is not effective we can progress to and which are also tools to use against the perpetrators of anti-social behaviour and neighbour nuisances.

Ultimately we have powers to close a problem premise down. are tenure neutral powers that can be used to offer communities immediate respite by temporarily closing premises for three months that are responsible for significant and persistent disorder or a persistent serious nuisance to a community.

We can also offer mediation between neighbours as a positive step to reducing further upset.

If the perpetrators of anti-social behaviour live in private rented accommodation

you could approach the landlord, or the management agent of the property concerned. They would normally have a tenancy agreement in order to prevent further anti-social behaviour or ultimately evict the persons responsible.

Where the perpetrator of anti-social behaviour owns their own home

evictions are not possible. We can, depending on the circumstances, apply for an to stop the individual from behaving in a way that causes harassment , alarm or distress.

So, what is anti-social behaviour? 

What you can do

If you are experiencing problems with anti-social behaviour, or have any concerns about it, or other community safety issues, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Feel free to use the diary sheet below to record your incident and then, please contact us. You may find the guidance leaflet useful or you could visit the Incident Diary page for more information.

If you have any concerns about a neighbour or any other queries please contact us.

Related documents

Size Name
[893kb] Neighbour Nuisance Guidance Leaflet Neighbour Nuisance Guidance Leaflet
[154kb] Anti-social incident diary Anti-social incident diary
[1018kb] Incident Diary Booklet Guidance Incident Diary Booklet Guidance

The documents in this section are in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf). You will need Acrobat Reader to view these files which can be downloaded from the Adobe website free of charge.