Building Control Services
Your Building Control team here at SKDC deliver a comprehensive service including; free pre-application advice meetings, building regulation plan appraisal and site inspections and much more.
We are here to provide you and your builder with all the help and guidance we can.
Did you know we can offer you a tailored quote for all your jobs - even those where we publish standard charges? To find out more take a look at our We Will Quote leaflet.
Call us when you need advice and guidance about building regulations and to submit your building regulation application, all in ONE phone call!
Alternatively you can Download application forms and apply online
The service that we provide includes:
- A same day inspection service on all calls received before 10am - phone 01476 40 60 80
- All staff having a mobile phone for contact throughout the day
- Staff being available at the office throughout the day without an appointment
- A wide range of guidance notes see Building Control notes
- Pre-application advice
Building Control Regulations
Building Control is a statutory function of the District Council. The Council has to ensure that the majority of building projects comply with Building Regulations. The current edition of the regulations is 'The Building Regulations 2010' and the majority of building projects are required to comply with them. They exist to ensure the health and safety of people in and around all types of buildings. They include energy conservation and access and facilities for disabled people.
Building Regulations exist to ensure that building work meets minimum standards in the following areas:
- Energy Conservation
- Access and Facilities for disabled persons.
There are guidelines about the construction of foundations, floors, wall, roofs and drains, for examples, so these standards are met. The laws about Buildings and Fire Safety are particularly complex and it is advisable to seek advice at an early stage if you intend to make alterations to factories, shops, offices, hotels and boarding houses.
The Council's Building Control Section considers building Regulation applications. The main functions of this section are as follows:
- To ensure that building work is carried out to the standards required by the Building Regulations
- To provide help and advice both before and after the commencement of work that is subject to the Building Regulations
- To provide help and advice in respect of dangerous structures including the issuing of appropriate notices
- To arrange for the appropriate notices and action for demolitions.
- Monitoring of planning permissions.