Health & safety training
Find a local course
Employers are responsible for providing safe and healthy workplace conditions and the right systems and methods for safe activities. However, employees also have a vital part to play too. They need the right knowledge and the right attitude which demands proper training in the basics of health and safety, as well as specific training for individual tasks.
It is a legal requirement that employees receive training and one option is to complete the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace.
Successful completion of the course provides a qualification awarded by the CIEH, the leading awarding body for food safety, health and safety and environmental qualifications.
CIEH qualifications are accredited by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority. You can use the CIEH online course finder (new window) to find out about other CIEH accredited training centres and courses.
Who is the course intended for?
This qualification is designed to ensure that all employees are aware of their own safety and the safety of customers, contractors and the public. It is applicable in any private or public sector environment.
Employers, managers and the self-employed will require further information but the course will provide them with a useful basic introduction to health and safety.
What does the course cover?
The one-day course covers:
- Health and safety law
- Safety - accident prevention
- Safety - slips, trips and falls
- Safety - electricity
- Safety - fire prevention
- The workplace
- Work equipment
- Risk assessment
- Manual handling
- Hazardous substances
- Working at height
- Ergonomics and workstation design
- Transport and vehicles
- Noise and vibration
On completing this qualification candidates will be able to:
- Understand the principles of accident prevention
- Understand that risk assessment is an important technique for accident and ill-health prevention
- Understand the risks associated with manual handling
- Appreciate the nature and risks of hazardous substances
- Understand how workplace equipment and task design affect health and safety
- Understand the potential long and short-term effects of exposure to noise and vibration