Healthier Options is a collaboration between Lincolnshire County Council, Boston Borough Council, City of Lincoln Council, East Lindsey District Council, North Kesteven District Council, South Holland District Council, South Kesteven District Council, and West Lindsey District Council. The initiative's aim is to encourage local food outlets and restaurants to make simple swaps on their menus that are healthier and taste just as good. Also, all businesses receive advice on how to adapt their menus such as using healthier oils, keeping the oil clean and at the right temperature and using better frying techniques; which will reduce fat, saturated fat and salt intake.
So - how does it work?
- A business creates a pledge using the Healthier Options resources and is assessed against the pledge by Lincolnshire County Council or South Kesteven District Council Environmental Health, if the pledge is completed, they are awarded a Healthier Options membership.
- A business must maintain at least a three food hygiene rating to maintain membership.
- Some of the Healthier Option's 'tips' are actually cost-saving to the business.
- Overall the changes made improve the ability and ease of local people to make healthy choices when dining out.
- For more information about the project and also how to join the scheme please visit www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/healthieroptions
Below is the list of current businesses with our award, this will be updated as businesses sign up!
- Newton's Wine Bar and Tapas
- Oasis Cafe