Householder applications cover works such as an extension to an existing house or flat, the provision of a garage, summerhouse or shed in a domestic garden, or the installation of any solar panel, domestic wind turbine or antenna which needs specific planning permission.

In the event of an appeal against a refusal of planning permission (which is to be dealt with on the basis of representations in writing), any representations made regarding householder applications will be sent to the Planning Inspectorate (acting on behalf of the Secretary of State), and there will be no further opportunity for comments (at appeal stage).