We need to gather evidence of the noise and its effects on complainants. It is important to understand that noise investigations are about how you are affected eg could not sleep. 

If the noise pollution is a nuisance in law (a "statutory nuisance"), we can serve a notice under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 requiring the noise pollution to be stopped. We may require that the noise stops immediately or prohibit its recurrence. In cases where some work is necessary, we will allow a specified time for compliance.

Failure to comply with an abatement notice is an offence and the council can prosecute. We may also take what is called 'default action' in some cases. This could involve disabling car or intruder alarms or seizing stereo equipment.