Final recommendations from a recent review of the electoral arrangements for Lincolnshire County Council by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England were published in August 2016.
Following the Electoral Review it is necessary to review the certain polling districts and polling places to take account of the new division boundaries. Polling districts are the areas into which district wards are divided and polling places are the locations of buildings in which polling stations are established. Polling districts can be created as an electoral requirement but also as a means to provide a more conveniently located polling station for the electorate.
The Returning Officer's draft proposals on the future polling arrangements are now available. Consultation will now take place until Friday 14 October 2016.
Anyone wishing to submit comments or representations on these draft proposals should do so in writing by 14 October 2016. Please send your comments to:
Polling District and Polling Places Review
South Kesteven District Council
St Peter's Hill
Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The review requires the council to:
- Seek to ensure that all the electors in the area have reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable in the circumstances
- Seek to ensure that so far as is reasonable and practicable, every polling place is accessible to electors who are disabled and when considering the designation of a polling place, must have regard to the accessibility needs of disabled persons
Please note that the following are not considered as part of the review:
- The changing of any district ward boundaries (which can only be done by statute following an electoral review carried out by the Local Government Boundary Commission). This review is concerned only with the administrative subdivision of the wards and new electoral divisions into polling districts which are then assigned polling places;
- The changing of polling districts in areas that are also aligned with parish boundaries and therefore cannot be amended during this review (these can only be amended during a Community Governance Review).
The review will be completed in November 2016. The Returning Officer will prepare proposals for the future polling arrangements and these will be published on Friday 23 September 2016.
A consultation period will then run from 23 September 2016 until Friday 14 October 2016.
During the review representations and feedback on any aspect of the allocated polling areas or polling stations will be sought from:
- Returning officers
- Members of Parliament
- District Councillors
- County Councillors
- Parish Councils via Parish Clerks
- Local Constituency Political Parties
- Disability and Access groups
- Persons / organisations with expertise in relation to access to premises or facilities for disabled persons
In addition, any elector in the South Kesteven area can make a representation, which must include proposals for specified alternative polling places.
Details of all representations received during the consultation will be published as part of the review.
A report outlining the proposals will be debated at the meeting of the Full Council to be held on 17 November 2016. A Notice of Conclusion of the review will then be published.
The polling arrangements will then be kept under review. The next full review of polling districts and polling places will take between October 2018 and January 2020.
For further information, please contact the electoral services team on 01476 406080 or by email email@example.com